The Play FPN Ranking System is based on a point system that takes into account the following:
- A team’s winning percentage.
- Strength of competition.
- A team’s tournament game wins in both pool and bracket play.
- Bracket difficulty.
- Event stature.
Teams want to compare themselves to their peers in the same class.
- A team’s ranking becomes available when it has played one PlayFPN Event in a season (9/1 to 8/31).
- Overall rankings are only by division (age) combined with class/strength (all 12UA teams, all 12UB teams, etc.) across the current season. Games from prior seasons are not factored into rankings for the current season.
- Ranking can be filtered by state or across all PlayFPN events, wherever they are played.
- There are no rankings for just division (age). For example, comparing a 12UA and a 12UC team would be meaningless.
- Games played between teams of different classes are not factored into the rankings but are just displayed in a team’s overall record and winning percentage.
- A team will have an overall record and overall winning percentage, but not an overall (cross-class) ranking, just an in-class ranking.
Using the Ranking System
- Click onto the first Tab called Team Rankings.
- Insert, minimally, a season, division and class and click Search.
- You can also further filter your search by state.
How PlayFPN Rankings are Calculated
How Teams Earn Points
- Winning Percentage Points + Competition Points + Tournament Points are added together.
- That total is multiplied by the Event Stature Factor.
- The result is the Total Points earned by a team for an event.
- A team’s winning percentage is calculated using the following formula: number of wins + .5 for each tie / games played.
- For each event, winning % points will be awarded as 50X the winning % for that event.
- For example, a team has a winning % of .500 in an event. That is multiplied by 50 (.500 * 50) and the team earns 25 Winning % points.
Strength of Competition
- For each event competition points will be awarded ONLY when both teams are of the same division and class.
- Competition points are gained if a team beats a team with a winning record.
- Similarly, competition points are lost if a team loses to a team with a losing record.
- A team’s total competition points cannot go negative.
- Competition points are calculated based on the opposing team’s winning percentage coming into the tournament.
- For example, a 14UB plays a 14UA team. In this case, competition points cannot be earned or lost.
- For example, a 16UB plays another 16UB team. In this case, competition points can be earned or lost.
|Opponent Win %||Points Gained||Points Lost|
|.750 - 1.00||10||0|
|.500 - .750||5||0|
|.250 - .499||0||5|
|.000 - .249||0||10|
Tournament Game Wins, Bracket Difficulty & Event Stature
- A team gains points for wins in both pool and bracket play. The more rounds to the bracket, the more valuable each win is, as a larger bracket is more difficult to win than a smaller one. Points are awarded as per the following:
- Pool Play - each pool win is 10 points and pool ties are 5 points.
- Bracket Play – Each win is 25 points. A Semi-final win is 50 points and winning the Finals is 100 points.
- In double elimination, since there are no traditional semi-finalists, no semi-final points are awarded. Also note, an additional 100 points are awarded if the loser bracket winner wins the "if" game.
- Points earned by all criteria in an event are then multiplied by a factor based on the event stature to determine the team's total points earned for the event.
- For example, in a Regional Championship event, a team earns 25 winning % points, 25 competition points and 150 tournament points for a total of 200 points. This is then multiplied by the event stature factor (in this case 2X) for a grand total of 400 points earned in the event - (25 + 25 + 150) * 2 = 400.
|Event Stature||Multiply Points by:|
|College Showcases & Elite Events||2X|
|State & Regional Championships||2X|
|Tournament Dir. Designated Double Points Event||2X|